Lakshmi wants to sacrifice her time and education to better her families life. She wanted to move to the city so that she could take a job as a maid so her mother could have some money that her dad wouldn't gamble away. All she wanted was her mother to be happy, she wanted to spend everything she had to buy her mother a tin roof so their house wouldn't leak. She didn't care about buying herself new clothing or jewelry, she wanted her little brother to be safe.
In our society many kids are very materialistic. We want new clothes, phones and ipods. We don't really think about the kids that live in not the best areas. I am very lucky because I have never had to worry about my family being able to pay for our roof. I also don't have an unreliable dad who gambles all of our money away. My Dad and my Mom spend money on important things that we need and not card games. Unfortunately, Lakshmi whole life is a gamble dealing with a dad who owes everyone money that he doesn't have and in Nepal, a woman's role was to support the man in his choices and serve him so, Lakshmi's mother Ama, is almost in a state of denial. She believes that having an unreliable man is better than not having any man at all.
In Nepal, women have certain roles and tasks that they have to complete. They are seen as like the man's property. Her goal was to serve him and make him happy. This to me is so horrible, why should a woman have to serve any man what makes them better than us because i don't See any difference. I think woman have worked to hard to get rights that they deserve but all over the world many woman still have to serve their man. Its crazy to me, but I'm not trying to judge.
I like how you showed the differences of her world and our world.
ReplyDeleteAshley,
ReplyDeleteYou made some really good self to text and world to text connections! I'm glad you're enjoying the book. =)
i'm glad that this book is making you think so much!!
ReplyDelete