Monday, December 6, 2010

Sarah's Key- Reading Response

     This book is the story of 2 women from two different time periods. Sarah is a girl who grew up in France in the 1940's. Her family is taken by Nazi but she hides her brother in his bedroom cupboard and promises to come back for him. Sadly she and her mother are taken to the camps of France. Julia is an American born journalist living in France with her husband and her daughter. When Julia is reporting on the 60th anniversary of the camps she learns of Sarah's story and her life is changed for ever.


  This story made me think a lot about my social action picture book because even though i am writing  to younger kids I want them to see how peoples action really affect others. In this book,Tatiana de Rosnay shows how actions in the past can help define people in the future. 


  Sarah's past and the struggles she faced changed the way Julia looked on life because of all the challenges she had to conquer. The way Taitiana de Rosnay wrote they story I felt that i had a deep connection to both characters and that they connected. Each  character had their own form of authors purpose; Sarah let us bear witness to the effects of the holocaust  and Julia  called us to action to make a difference in our community.


I also was surprised  that I liked Tatiana de Rosnay writing style because usual when I read books written like this one I can't focus but her language was so beautiful and her description was so vivid.



1 comment: